How to Make Sweetened Iced Tea
Summer's perfect drink has been a favorite for generations. For best results, use whole-leaf loose tea and good water. This recipe makes about two quarts.
Tips for Making Iced Tea:
- Any pot will work for making this recipe as long as it isn't cast iron or aluminum, which will react unfavorably with the tea.
- Pouring the hot tea into the cold water helps keep the tea clear.
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 heaping tbsp. orange pekoe or black whole-leaf tea
- 8 c. high-quality water
- lemon slices or mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
How to Make Iced Tea:
- Place the sugar and half the water in a 2-quart serving jug and stir to dissolve the sugar, then chill.
- Bring the remaining water to boil in a nonreactive pot.
- Remove the water from the heat as soon as it boils and add the tea.
- Cover and steep for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Strain the hot tea into the sugared water.
- Add lemon slices or mint sprigs if desired, or place them in serving glasses as a garnish.
- Fill serving glasses with ice and pour the tea in them to serve.