Making Cream Scones
This Scottish quick bread can be savory or sweet. They can be cut into triangles, circles, diamonds or squares. Makes 8-10 triangular scones.
- MARMALADE TOPPED SCONES: Prepare scone recipe, bake as directed for 6-8 minutes, remove from oven, brush tops with 1/3 cup Orange Marmalade. Return to oven and continue baking for 2 minutes, until marmalade bubbles.
- CHUTNEY CHEESE SCONES: Roll out 1 recipe of scone dough to 5mm thickness, cut into 8 cm circles. Divide and spoon 2 teaspoons of Apple Curry Chutney or Hot Mango Chutney into the center of each circle. Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, fold in half and press edges together. Bake on greased baking sheet as directed.
- Place rack in center of the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir the butter, cream and water, add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix only until just incorporated and a soft dough forms. Don't over mix the dough.
- Form the dough into a round disk about 3/4 inch thick, then cut the disk like a pizza into 8-10 triangles.
- Place on a nonstick or parchment-lined baking sheet, and brush the top of each triangle with some additional milk.
- Sprinkle scones with sugar and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 11/2 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/3 cup water