You'll get a kick out of this classic Bloody Mary recipe, a familiar mix of vodka, tomato juice and some zesty spices. Make them with or without alcohol for a festive, spicy treat. Remember to use moderation and NEVER drink and drive. Classic Bloody Mary:
- 1 oz. Vodka
- 3 oz. tomato juice
- Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 0.5 oz. lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt (celery salt if available)
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 stalk celery, lemon wedge or lime wedge for garnish
- Add liquid ingredients to a shaker with ice, shake it up to blend the liquids
- Season to taste, and shake again
- Strain into a glass
- Add garnishes
In a hurry? You can buy pre-made Bloody Mary mixes in grocery and liquor stores, then add your own vodka and garnishes!
For a twist on the classic – try these ideas:
- Bloody Beach: Substitute one part Malibu rum and one part vodka for the vodka.
- Bloody Bull: Substitute beef bouillon for the tomato juice.
- Bloody Caesar: Use Clamato juice instead of the tomato juice.
- Bloody Maria: Use tequila instead of vodka, and lime juice instead of lemon juice.
- Bloody Beer is 1/3 tomato juice and 2/3 beer (none of the other stuff). Otherwise some people like a beer chaser with a Bloody Mary.
- Bloody Seven: Substitute Seagram's 7 for vodka.
Experiment with new garnishes or add ins to pair your Bloody recipe to the meal or occasion:
- Salt the rim
- For a sweeter drink, add a few more drops of Worcestershire sauce.
- Try adding 1/4 oz. horseradish sauce.
- Lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit – as a twist or a wedge
- Pickled green beans
- Pepperoni stick
- A slice of crisp bacon
- Pickled onions
- Baby Corn
- Cheddar cheese cubes
- Cherry tomatoes
How do you make it your own?