There are countless activities you can do at the beach that will provide you with health benefits, though they won't seem like exercise at all. Get in a great workout while enjoying the fresh air, sounds of the ocean, and the sand under your feet.
Here are some things to remember before you start exercising:
- Don't forget the waterproof sunscreen.
- Be sure to drink lots of water to stay well hydrated.
- Warnings: If you've had ankle injuries or are susceptible to them, it's important to use caution when playing in sand. Consult your physician.
- Wear proper footwear to prevent cuts and scrapes from shells or other debris.
Here are some beach activities to try:
- Choose beach games like paddle ball, keep-away, tag, or volleyball to get your heart rate going.
- Picking up sand dollars and sea shells will work your lower back, hamstrings, and quadriceps. Remember to bend from your knees.
- Throwing a Frisbee works your upper back and arm muscles and can provide good cardiovascular conditioning, if you have to run to catch it.
- Sand adds resistance to each activity and increases your calorie expenditure, the number of calories you burn.
- Walking along the beach is great exercise, and you can walk near the water challenging yourself not to get your feet wet.
- Take a surfing lesson and experience upper- and lower-body conditioning.
- Shoveling sand to make a sand castle or a moat can be great exercise.
- Perform gentle yoga poses on your beach towel to stretch and lengthen your body.
- Walk or run in the water for a great low-impact workout.