Ah, the filet mignon of vegetable grilling. The portobello mushroom is a meaty delight.
Tips for Grilling Portobello Mushrooms:
- Use plastic storage bags in lieu of a storage container. Or just use a plate or bowl large enough to hold the mushrooms.
- Accompany the mushrooms with a green salad and roasted potatoes, or use the mushrooms as the base for a mushroom "hamburger."
- For more portobello entrées try Risotto Stuffed Mushrooms and Mediterranean Mushroom Agnolotti.
- portobello mushrooms
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
How to Marinate and Grill Portobello Mushrooms:
- Clean the mushrooms with a vegetable brush under cold running water. Be gentle.
- Place the mushrooms in a storage container and sprinkle liberally with equal parts balsamic vinegar and olive oil, to coat both sides.
- Cover the container and shake it to fully coat the mushrooms. Set aside for up to 1 hour.
- Prepare a grill.
- Place the mushrooms on the grill, a bit off center from the heat. Cover the grill.
- Check the mushrooms after 5 minutes and turn them over carefully. Grill the other side for about 5 minutes, until tender in the middle.
- Serve as a side dish, or sliced or diced in salads and pastas.