A busy mom shares some of her secrets of the trade - this was contributed to eHow by Amber Putnam. This game helps re-use common household items and teach children financial responsibility.
- Give older children a calculator and have them tally up prices and give change.
- Save old egg cartons, butter bowls, food boxes and food wrappings.
- Help the children set up these items on shelves in their play area, explaining to them that they are “stocking” the shelves of their “imaginary” grocery store.
- Encourage the children to use wagons or play strollers as shopping carts.
- Designate a clerk and set up a check out counter with an imaginary cash register.
- If the children are old enough, give them monopoly money to purchase and sell the groceries.
If smaller children are around, watch out for plastics and smaller objects.
Stay away from anything that you wouldn't want them to put in their mouths.