This "beak of the rooster" salsa is great because you can make it as hot or as mild as you like. Serves a small get-together.
- Using the freshest ingredients possible is the key to great Pico de Gallo.
- Dice the onion and rinse in a strainer under warm water.
- Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze out the seeds. Dice the tomatoes and place in a large bowl with the salt.
- Cut the stems off the Serrano chilies, then slice into very thin rings. Add to the tomatoes.
- Add the onion to the bowl of tomatoes and chilies. Roughly chop the cilantro sprigs and add to the bowl.
- Add the lime juice or vinegar and optional pepper and stir well. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors mingle.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt or lime juice if you like.
- Serrano chilies: small fresh green chilies that resemble miniature jalapenos. Commonly found in supermarkets.