A fun way to throw a sushi party is to get everyone involved in the preparation.
- Another way to have a sushi party is to have everybody make sushi rolls and nigiri sushi creations to share with the rest of the group.
- Be sure to have a maki su (bamboo mat) for easy sushi roll preparation.
- Search for Japanese ingredients in Asian markets and the Asian sections of some supermarkets. Also try asking the chefs at your favorite sushi bar where they get their ingredients.
- Use a table that is low to the ground.
- Provide pillows as chairs.
- For each person, set out a large plate, a small plate such as a saucer, a steamed facecloth and chopsticks.
- Set out two to three plates of prepared wasabi and vinegared ginger.
- Provide one or two bottles of soy sauce.
- Cut fish into sashimi slices and arrange them on large platters.
- Provide other fillings, such as cucumber slices, avocado slices, squash and pickled radish.
- Provide side dishes such as sunomono (pickled octopus), edamame (fresh green soybeans boiled in salted water) and miso soup.
- Cut nori (seaweed) into 4-by-4-inch squares and stack onto two plates.
- Provide shari (sushi rice) in a large wooden bowl.
- Provide sake (rice wine) or Japanese beer.
- Pass around the nori, rice and fish and have each person assemble his or her own sushi rolls.