A savory vegetable stock is a staple for vegetarian cooking. It doesn't get better than this. Makes 3 1/2 to 4 qts.
- If storing the stock, refrigerate, uncovered, until cold, then cover and store in the refrigerator (up to one week) or the freezer (up to three months).
- If you don't have a fine-mesh sieve, use cheesecloth over a large bowl or another stockpot.
- It's helpful to label and date all stored items.
- Cut the vegetables to fit in your roasting pan.
- Vegetables will be well-browned when fully roasted.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees ºF.
- Roast carrots, leeks, celery, yellow and red onions, and garlic, uncovered, for 1 hour in a roasting pan.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large stockpot.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns and water. Turn heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Use stock or transfer to one or more storage containers.