Buffalo wings were invented at the Anchor Bar, in Buffalo, New York. It's nearly impossible to replicate those meaty delicacies, but here's an approximation. Makes 24 pieces.
- Obviously, for a spicier wing, use more pepper sauce. Be sure to have plenty of blue cheese dressing around, though. That helps cool off unsuspecting mouths.
- Cut off and discard wing tips. Spread the remaining wing portion open, and with a sharp knife, cut each wing at its joint into two sections.
- Rinse wing portions and pat dry.
- Place wing portions in a single layer in a foil-lined 15-by-10-by-1-inch baking pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- While wings bake, melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in hot pepper sauce.
- Drain fat from wings after they have baked 20 minutes.
- Brush wings with butter mixture. Bake 10 more minutes.
- Turn wings over and brush with mixture. Bake 5 to 10 more minutes until the meat of the wings is no longer pink.
- Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.