What better way to enjoy the Fourth of July than a festive barbecue? So break out the watermelon, shuck the corn on the cob and fire up coals to celebrate Independence Day in style.
- Here are some great Fourth of July recipes, Independence Burgers, Independence Cake.
- Remember sunscreen and bug repellent. Have plenty of both on hand to share with guests.
- Send out invitations as soon as possible.
- Make the party a family affair by inviting friends and their kids and ask everyone to wear red, white and blue.
- Decorate with a patriotic theme. Purchase tablecloths, plates, cups and napkins in red, white and blue. Remember to mix and match.
- Play patriotic music, such as “Yankee Doodle Dandy” & “America the Beautiful” and - of course - Sousa marches, especially “The Stars and Stripes Forever.”
- Serve All-American foods such as hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, deviled eggs, corn on the cob, watermelon, lemonade, apple pie or gelatin desserts made in patriotic colors. Have a small supply of tofu dogs or veggie burgers for any vegetarians in the group.
- Stock a cooler with cold drinks and consider making fresh-squeezed lemonade or a big batch of iced tea.
- Play games like baseball, croquet or Capture the Flag with teams comprised of adults and kids. Give small party favors (such as mini-American flags) to the team members who win.
- Have your barbecue early in the afternoon. Afterwards, take the group to a fireworks show, symphony concert or other community event nearby.
If you plan to use fireworks, make sure they are legal in your area and that you know how to use them safely.