Create scintillating finger foods on festive platters for a guaranteed success. Your host (and the guests) will appreciate it.
- Call your host a few days before the scheduled party. Ask if there is a particular culinary theme, or a preferred type of appetizer.
- Search cookbooks and Web sites featuring appetizer and hors d'oeuvre recipes.
- Focus on finger foods, or dips with crackers or vegetable crudites. Elegant cheese-and-cracker platters are also easy, and are always well-received. All of these options have a low mess factor, and can be easily prepared right before the party.
- Make enough appetizer pieces to allow each guest at least three pieces. If yours is the only appetizer being served, supply at least five pieces per person.
- Prepare the dish a few hours before the party, if possible, to ensure maximum freshness. Many dishes can be prepared the night before, while some require last-minute preparation, so use your best judgment.
- Arrange the hors d'oeuvres on a festive platter. Bring extras in a sealed airtight container, and remember to keep the platter refilled throughout the party.