Having fresh produce year round is easy, all it takes is a little preplanning. Get tips below on the best way to freeze your fresh fruits and vegetables for year round use.
- Keep the freezer temperature set to 0 degrees F.
- Freeze fruits and vegetables when they're at the peak of ripeness.
- Prepare and freeze right after harvest or store in the refrigerator for up to one day.
- Wash fruits and vegetables before freezing.
- Sprinkle sugar on fruits that will be served uncooked after freezing and mix gently.
- Mix a simple syrup of sugar and water and pour over fruits that will be cooked after freezing.
- Blanch vegetables before freezing unless they'll be used in one week.
- Store in glass or plastic containers, freezer bags and/or plastic wrap.
- Fill glass or plastic containers 2/3 full to allow for expansion.
- Date all packages.
- Store blanched vegetables in the freezer for up to nine months.
- Store fruits in the freezer for up to one year.