Serve your Memorial Day guests tender, flavorful chicken hot off the grill! Learn these easy marinating and basting techniques for delicious results. Serves 8.
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 c. white wine vinegar
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 10 chicken thighs
- 10 chicken wings
- 3 1/2 c. maple barbecue sauce
- 5 chicken breasts
Don't baste the chicken with barbecue sauce until it's almost cooked; the sugar in the sauce makes it burn easily.
- In a bowl, whisk together vinegar and salt.
- Add oil by pouring it in a stream; whisk the marinade until it is emulsified.
- Divide chicken pieces between 2 large bowls.
- Pour marinade over chicken.
- Marinate chicken overnight in the refrigerator.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-hot.
- Grill chicken on an oiled rack set about 4 inches over glowing coals for 10 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through.
- Baste chicken with maple barbecue sauce, and allow to cook 2 more minutes.
- Turn chicken, baste again and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Serve chicken with remaining barbecue sauce.