The new year has arrived, and you have already drawn up your resolutions. Now, how to stick to your plan:
- Don't sweat the setbacks; persistence is the key.
- Register with an e-mail reminder service to keep you committed.
- Put it all on paper. Write your resolutions down, and keep them in an accessible place as reminders - tape them to your mirror, write them in a journal or put them on your refrigerator door.
- Mark your calendar. Set deadlines for yourself to tackle each step toward reaching your goal, one at a time.
- Start as soon as possible. Go out and purchase the necessary equipment or literature; call now and set up an appointment with your dentist, your doctor, your trainer, your accountant....
- Find a role model. Is there anyone who has succeeded in fulfilling an ambition like yours? Look to this person as a reminder that it is possible to achieve your goal.
- Check your progress regularly, and give yourself an occasional reward for your efforts. Make sure the reward isn't contrary to your resolution; celebrate a cigarette-free month with a weekend trip or a new outfit, not with a cigarette!
- Inform friends and family of your goals, and recruit them to regularly remind and support you in your endeavors.