Don't have a heart-shaped cake pan? Not to worry. Follow the steps below and you'll have a perfect heart-shaped cake for Valentine's Day.
- Spread the batter evenly in both pans so that the square and round layers are equal in size. This will avoid a major height difference at the seams.
- Heart-shaped cake pans are also available.
- Make sure the sides of the square cake pan are the same size as the diameter of the round cake pan, so the edges line up correctly.
- Try these Valentine's Day favorites; Raspberry Chocolate Heart and Giant Valentine Cookie.
- Prepare your favorite cake mix or batter, making sure you have enough for a two-layer cake.
- Put half of the batter in the square cake pan and half of the batter in the round cake pan. Bake as directed and let cool.
- Prepare a platter, cookie sheet or cardboard base for the cake. It should measure about 15 by 15 inches. Cover with aluminum foil or paper doilies as desired.
- Place the square layer on the platter so that one corner faces down at the bottom of the platter, forming a diamond shape.
- Cut the round layer in half, then place the cut side of each half of the round layer against one upper side of the square layer to form a one-layer heart.
- Frost the cake, using frosting to cover the seams.
- Decorate the cake as desired. Consider using colored decorating sugar, candy conversation hearts, red hots or other decorating candies.