This often-requested cake originated at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in Manhattan at the turn of the last century. Similar to a devil's food cake, it's sinfully delicious. Makes one 2-layer cake.
- Try this delicious chocolate favorite; Choco-Holic Cake
- Bleached and Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Cake Flour
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cool Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees ºF.
- Cream shortening and 1 1/2 c. of the sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, cocoa, food coloring and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir in flour and salt, alternating with buttermilk.
- Mix soda and vinegar and stir quickly into mixture as it foams.
- Pour batter into two 8-inch layer cake pans or into one 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- For frosting, whisk together 5 1/2 tbsp. flour and milk in a saucepan. Cook until thickened and set aside to cool.
- Add butter, remaining 1 c. sugar and remaining 1 tsp. vanilla to milk and flour mixture. Beat well.
- Frost cooled cake with frosting.
- For cake:
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 2 1/2 c. sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- 2 oz. red food coloring
- 2 tsp. vanilla, divided
- 2 1/4 c. cake flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- For frosting:
- 5 1/2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. butter we recommend LAND O LAKES® Butter)