Abuelita Beef Stew, just like your grandmother loved to make, is rich with delicious flavors of braised beef, tomatoes, garlic, and onions. A touch of chocolate adds a subtle dimension to this Mexican-inspired dish.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablets (90 g each) NESTLÉ ABUELITA Authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink
- 4 to 5 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- French baguette or hot, cooked rice
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium heat; cook beef until browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
COOK onion, celery and garlic in same saucepan, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add beef, wine, tomato sauce, Abuelita chocolate, bouillon and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, until chocolate and bouillon are dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; cook for 50 to 60 minutes or until beef is fork tender.
ADD bell pepper; cook, uncovered, for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove bay leaf. Serve with bread or rice.