Packed full of terrific flavors of anise, toasted coconut and almonds, this Abuelita Bread Pudding with Media Crema Sauce recipe is a crowd pleasing dessert. Try this for holiday entertaining or a special weekend treat.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8 oz.) long, thin baguette, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 7 envelopes NESTLÉ ABUELITA Instant Chocolate Drink Mix, divided
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2/3 cup (about 4 oz.) shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (7.6 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ Media Crema
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
COMBINE melted butter and oil in small bowl. Brush bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Brush each side of bread slices with remaining butter mixture and place in prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes; turn and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until golden and edges are crisp. Remove from oven. Maintain oven temperature.
COMBINE water, 5 envelopes Abuelita, brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter and anise seed in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches a boil. Reduce heat to low so mixture boils gently for about 10 minutes and thickens slightly. Pour over prepared bread, making sure to soak all pieces of bread. Top with raisins and nuts; cover.
BAKE for 25 minutes or until syrup is boiling and thick. Uncover; immediately sprinkle with cheese and loosely cover again. Remove to wire rack to cool slightly.
COMBINE media crema, remaining 2 envelopes Abuelita, granulated sugar and rum in small bowl. Top bread pudding with coconut. Serve with media crema mixture drizzled on top.