With a tangy, crunchy flair, this fresh apple coleslaw takes center stage. Purple and green cabbage meld with bright herbs, Dijon mustard and honey to create flavors that hint of the summer ahead.
- 8 (pint-size) mason jars
- 2 cups Apple NESTLÉ® JUICY JUICE® 100% Juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 5 cups each thinly shredded purple and green cabbage, divided
- 2 cups shredded carrot and/or thinly sliced red bell pepper, divided
- 8 tablespoons sliced green onions, chives or shredded fresh basil, divided
PLACE Juicy Juice in medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for about 25 minutes or until reduced to ¼ cup (reducing the juice will add more sweetness and deepen the apple flavor). Cool to room temperature.
WHISK together reduced juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard and honey. Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until blended. Divide vinaigrette between each of eight mason jars.
LAYER about 1/3 cup purple cabbage, 1/3 cup green cabbage, 2 tablespoons carrot and 1 tablespoon sliced green onions in each mason jar. Add another layer (same quantities excluding green onions) of purple cabbage, green cabbage and carrots. You should have about an inch gap between coleslaw and lid so that it is easy to shake; seal closed. When ready to serve, simply shake to coat. Jars of unshaken coleslaw can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Cook's Tip: In a hurry? Skip reducing the apple juice and just use ¼ cup apple juice. Increase honey to 2 tablespoons total.