Baked Chile Cheese Spread was a finalist in the Ortega® “Create a Fiesta, Win a Siesta!” Contest. This dish was submitted by Lisa Carr of Cedaredge, Colorado. This spread is a delightful blend of chiles, salsa, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and green onions for a delicious and mildly spicy dip. Served with tortilla chips, it's guaranteed to be one of your family's favorite party appetizers.
- 2 tablespoons yellow corn meal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) diced green chiles
- 1 cup (about 8) sliced green onions, divided
- 1 jar mild salsa, or any flavor - divided
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 garnish tortilla chips, assorted crackers and/or sliced baguette
PREHEAT oven to 325° F. Heavily grease bottom and side of 9-inch springform pan. Combine corn meal and chili powder; sprinkle over bottom and side of prepared pan.
BEAT cream cheese, eggs, garlic powder, and cumin in large mixer bowl until smooth; stir in chiles and 1/2 cup green onion. Pour half of batter into pan. Spoon 1 cup salsa over top of batter; sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese over salsa. Spread remaining batter over top of cheese.
BAKE for 55 to 60 minutes or until edges are set but center still moves slightly. Cool completely in pan on wire rack; remove side of springform pan. Spread remaining salsa over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onion. Serve with tortilla chips.
Review This Recipe
Delicious, Attractive, and easy to make. I used hot salsa because I like spicy and I added hot sauce to the cream cheese batter for more flavor. It went over very well. I will definitely make this again!!!
Read More Reviews