Serve up an old favorite with a flavorful twist tonight! A few special ingredients added to this classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese dish makes it absolutely irresistible!
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (12 fl. oz. each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp, white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
PREHEAT the oven to 400° F. Butter 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in flour; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture turns light brown, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in evaporated milk, salt, black pepper, paprika and nutmeg. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add macaroni and stir until thoroughly coated. Remove from heat. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown. Garnish with parsley, as desired.
Review This Recipe
I have a family of seven, so this recipe needed to be increased. I served it with a spinich salad and warm homemade bread. On a chilly evening, it was perfect for even my picky eater.
Read More Reviews