Chunky marinara sauce, Italian sausage and mushrooms team up with ziti pasta in this flavorful baked dish. Fennel seeds add a unique Italian flair. This one is perfect for entertaining.
- 8 ounces dry ziti pasta
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces mild Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 2 containers (15 ounces each) BUITONI Refrigerated Marinara Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons BUITONI® Freshly Shredded Parmesan or Romano Cheese
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
PREPARE pasta according to package directions.
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain. Add mushrooms and fennel; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender. Add sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Remove from heat.
ADD pasta to sauce mixture; toss well to coat. Spoon into prepared baking dish; sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
BAKE for 15 to 17 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
FOR FREEZE AHEAD:
PREPARE as above; do not bake. Cover; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
PREHEAT oven to 400° F.
BAKE for 25 to 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Review This Recipe
Good enough to share
I made this recipe back in February. I was able to freeze the leftovers and reheat when ready. It was even better. Now I am going to make some for friends this weekend. Very easy to make.
Read More Reviews