Baked Ziti with Pumpkin & Sausage
Providing wholesome flavors and nutritious benefits, this baked ziti dish has a healthy twist and includes pumpkin, spinach and chicken sausage. It's sure to delight your family's taste buds and have them asking for seconds!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cups (12 oz.) dry regular or whole-wheat ziti
- 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- 4 links (12 oz.) fully-cooked Italian-seasoned chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pkg. (6 oz.) or about 4 cups pre-washed baby spinach
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded part-skim or 2% milk reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (1.5 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
PREPARE pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water and set aside for later use. Drain pasta; return to cooking pot.
MEANWHILE, COMBINE pumpkin, flour, garlic powder, salt, nutmeg and cayenne pepper in medium skillet over medium heat. Slowly add evaporated milk, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken slightly. Pour over pasta in pot. Add sausage and reserved pasta cooking water; stir well.
SPREAD half of the pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with spinach. Cover with remaining pasta mixture. Lightly spray piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray. Cover ziti with foil, greased side down.
BAKE for 20 minutes or until heated through. Combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in small bowl. Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
this is an awesome, healthy dish! We loved it. Only changed a few things...added spinach with arugula, minced garlic and sea salt and added half of the cheese on top of spinach, then baked and added the remaining cheese...full of flavor!
Good but needs more flavor
First time making it for my family. They liked it but dont love it. Simple ingredients but needs more flavor to add that kick
I made this dish last night and it was terrible. I will not be making this again.
I would add cheese into it next time.
I thought this recipe would be so great with flavor and vitamins. It was rich with health, but not flavor :( it lacks. My family wouldn't eat it, even when I added more seasonings.
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 200
- Calories from Fat: 35
- Total Fat: 4g (6% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 10mg (3% of DV)
- Sodium: 300mg (13% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 31g (10% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 3g (12% of DV)
- Sugars: 7g
- Protein: 12g
- Vitamin A: 100% of DV
- Vitamin C: 4% of DV
- Calcium: 15% of DV
- Iron: 10% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.