These tasty Barbecued Beef Sandwiches are slow cooked with apple sauce and Worcestershire sauce creating great flavors. This is a perfect solution for a fun family meal or entertaining. Get the hard work done ahead of time. Garnish with thinly sliced red onions for a colorful and crunchy finale.
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pounds) fresh beef brisket, fat trimmed
- 1 can (10 ounces) chopped tomatoes with green chile peppers, undrained
- 1 container (8 ounces) applesauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 to 12 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- Sliced red onion (optional)
CUT meat to fit into a 3 ½- or 4-quart slow cooker. Place meat in cooker. Combine tomatoes, applesauce, tomato paste, sugar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce in medium bowl; pour over meat. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
TRANSFER meat to cutting board, reserving juices. Cover meat and keep warm. Pour reserved juices into a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 20 minutes or until desired consistency. Thinly slice meat across grain.
PLACE meat over bottom of rolls; top with onion. Drizzle with juices. Top with tops of rolls.