Beef & Stout Stew with Dark Chocolate Sauce
This hearty and savory beef stew has amazing flavors from the combination of stout beer, tomato paste, caraway seeds, thyme and garlic paired with a hint of chocolate. Great both for entertaining and family meals, for the times you want to make an unforgettable favorite.
- 2 lbs. beef eye of round, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus additional canola oil, divided
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 fl. oz.) stout-style beer (such as Guiness)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bar (4 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add some of the beef cubes and brown on all sides. Remove browned beef and place in large bowl. Continue browning remaining beef cubes with remaining oil. Some additional oil may be needed. Remove all beef cubes from saucepan.
REDUCE heat to medium. Add onions to saucepan, adding some additional oil if necessary. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook another minute or release the aroma of the garlic (do not allow garlic to color). Add beef cubes, carrots, broth, beer, raisins, tomato paste, caraway seed, bay leaf and thyme to saucepan; stir well.
COOK uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Sprinkle chocolate over stew; stir to combine (the chocolate becomes part of the sauce).
SERVE immediately with a warm, hearty bread, if desired.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/4 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 360
- Calories from Fat: 170
- Total Fat: 19g (29% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 7g (33% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 0mg (0% of DV)
- Sodium: 990mg (41% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 43g (14% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 8g (30% of DV)
- Sugars: 20g
- Protein: 9g
- Vitamin A: 410% of DV
- Vitamin C: 25% of DV
- Calcium: 8% of DV
- Iron: 25% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.