Potatoes, carrots and zucchini team up with beef chunks in a red wine-garlic-tomato braising sauce that make this beef stew a tasty main entrée that is great for weeknight family meals or casual entertaining. Serve alone or over your choice of rice or pasta. If desired, add an additional garnish of chopped herbs.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) peeled and diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or water
- 6 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in large, heavy-duty plastic bag. Add beef; shake to coat well.
HEAT oil in stockpot over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, stirring frequently, for 7 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes and juice, water, onion, wine, bouillon, garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 35 minutes or until beef is tender. Remove bay leaves.
STIR in potatoes and carrots. Increase heat to medium; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in zucchini; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.