Brown-Eyed Susan Sweet Potato Cake was a finalist winner of the Nestlé Toll House "Share the Very Best" recipe contest, this dessert was created by Helen Conwell of Fairhope, AL. This cake recipe will put YOU on a pedestal!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (15 oz.) mashed sweet potatoes or unsweetened sweet potatoes, rinsed, drained, and mashed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup (6 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup water
- CREAMY PREMIER WHITE ICING
- 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Lightly grease and flour one 13 x 9-inch or two 9-inch-round baking pans.
COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger in small bowl. Combine sweet potatoes, granulated sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add oil; beat until well blended. Stir in morsels, pecans and water. Stir in flour mixture; mix until blended. Pour into prepared pan(s).
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan(s) on wire rack(s). For layer cakes, remove from pans after 10 minutes. Frost with Creamy Premier White Icing.
FOR CREAMY PREMIER WHITE ICING:
MICROWAVE morsels and butter in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
BEAT cream cheese and sour cream into morsel mixture until creamy. Add vanilla extract and almond extract. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.
Photograph is exclusive property of Publications International, LTD.
Review This Recipe
Brown-Eyed Susan Sweet Potato Cake
The Cake looks really yummy. Not at all what I expected. My husband took it to work and they all enjoyed it.
Read More Reviews