Butterscotch Scotchies make a great dessert bar that is perfect for all occasions. This one is one of our "desert safe" recipes to send to your loved one overseas. This recipe has been tested in our kitchen and does meet Middle East guidelines, as well as U.S. Postal Service mailing regulations.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel, (1 medium orange)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
PREHEAT oven to 375º F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl. Beat shortening, sugar, eggs and orange peel in large mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in flour mixture and water. Stir in oats and morsels. Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
BAKE for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Review This Recipe
My Sunday School Class has adopted a soldier in Iraq. I wanted to send him so goodies but I didn't know what food would last long enough for him to get it in the desert. I can't wait to send him some scotchies, I know they'll bring a smile to his face!
Read More Reviews