A calavera, or skull, is a traditional decoration for celebrating Day of the Dead. Try this recipe with pear halves decorated like calaveras. The kids will love helping to decorate for the celebration.
- 4 pears, peeled, cut in half and cored
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 2 large tablets or 5 small disks NESTLÉ ABUELITA Authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink
- 2 teaspoons NESCAFÉ Café de Olla Instant Coffee Beverage Granules
- 16 NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 8 star anise pods
- 8 raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tablespoon colorful candy sprinkles
PREHEAT oven to 400° F.
PLACE pear halves cut-side-down in 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Pour water over pears. Cover dish with foil.
BAKE pears for 30 minutes or until tender. Uncover so the pears can cool.
COMBINE evaporated milk and Abuelita chocolate in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add café de olla; stir until dissolved.
SPOON about 2 tablespoons Abuelita-coffee sauce on a plate; place one pear half cut-side-down in sauce. Repeat with remaining pear halves and sauce.
DECORATE faces of pear like a skull (calavera). Place an anise star at the top of each pear, and then add two chocolate morsels for the eyes. Use the pepita as a nose and candy sprinkles as the teeth. Serve immediately.