Caruso Sauce with Pasta
Caruso Sauce with Pasta originated in Uruguay to honor the famous Italian tenor, Enrico Caruso. Over time, this creamy pasta sauce spread throughout South America and eventually to Europe. Enriched with cheese, ham, and mushrooms, and delicately seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg, Caruso sauce is usually served over cappellini or tortellini. It tastes just as delicious served over spaghetti!
- 1 lb. dry spaghetti, cooked, drained and held warm
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) or about 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (about 6 oz.) chopped ham (can use smoked)
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cube, crushed, dissolved in 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Emmental (Swiss), Gruyère or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
MELT remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat in large saucepan or skillet. Add flour, stirring constantly, until mixture turns light brown in color. With wire whisk, slowly add evaporated milk and warm beef broth, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until smooth and slightly thickened (mixture coats back of spoon). Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Stir in pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, reserved mushroom mixture and nuts.
POUR sauce over hot pasta. Sprinkle with parsley.
• Add more beef broth or water if thinner sauce consistency is desired.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/10 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from Fat: 120
- Total Fat: 14g (22% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 9g (45% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 50mg (17% of DV)
- Sodium: 350mg (15% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 41g (14% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV)
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 15g
- Vitamin A: 6% of DV
- Vitamin C: 2% of DV
- Calcium: 20% of DV
- Iron: 10% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.