The classic chicken Florentine is named for the Italian city of Florence. Dishes a la Fiorentina feature chicken (or sometimes fish) on a bed of spinach leaves. The dish is dressed in a creamy white sauce mixed with Parmesan cheese. This casserole will transport your family to Florence.
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) STOUFFER'S Spinach Souffle, defrosted*
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 (about 1 1/2 pounds total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, seasoned with salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
HEAT oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, turning once, until both sides are golden brown.
COMBINE Spinach Soufflé, rice, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, onion, mustard and salt in large bowl; stir well. Spread onto bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking pan; place chicken on top of spinach mixture. Combine bread crumbs, butter and remaining cheese in small bowl; sprinkle mixture evenly over casserole. Cover.
BAKE for 25 minutes; uncover. Bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until spinach mixture is set and chicken is no longer pink in center.
*DEFROST Spinach Soufflé in microwave on MEDIUM (50%) power for 6 to 7 minutes.
Review This Recipe
Found this very easy to assemble. I had the rice cooked earlier in the day when I had a few minutes. likewise, I grated the cheese during commercials. Found it needed more salt for my taste. All in all, it looked very impressive when it was served and tasted excellent. This is something I would make for company.
Read More Reviews