Cheesy Tuna and Rice Dish is a tasty variation on the traditional casserole. Delicious, easy to prepare and it's ready in less than 1 hour.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) whole tomatoes, cut in half, drained
- 2 cans (6 oz. each) tuna packed in water, drained
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
MELT butter in medium saucepan. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes. Blend in flour, salt and ground black pepper. Stir in evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil. Stir in cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese until melted.
COMBINE rice, parsley, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, and tomatoes in 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Top with tuna. Spread cheese sauce over tuna.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are bubbly.
Review This Recipe
This was so good. I didn't have evaporated milk so I just reduced regular milk starting with about twice the quantity needed and evaporating it down until I got the necessary amount. The cheese and tomatoes cut down the really fishy taste of the tuna; it was wonderful. I'm about to buy the ingredients to make it again!
Read More Reviews