Hearty and comforting, Chicken à la King goes equally well over pasta or rice. A healthy alternative to fried chicken.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup (about 3 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast meat
- 2 tablespoons diced pimiento (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 8 refrigerated biscuits, prepared according to package directions
MELT butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender but not brown. Stir in flour, salt and paprika. Gradually add evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
WHISK 1 cup thickened sauce into egg yolks; pour into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in chicken, pimiento and sherry. Heat through.
SERVE immediately over hot biscuits.
Review This Recipe
back in time!
chicken a la king reminds me of going shopping with my mother and sister--and out to lunch--what a treat it was to have chicken a la king for lunch in a restaurant! another timeless recipe---
that puts class in classic----
Read More Reviews