Hearty and comforting, Chicken à la King goes equally well over pasta or rice. A healthy alternative to fried chicken.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup (about 3 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast meat
- 2 tablespoons diced pimiento (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 8 refrigerated biscuits, prepared according to package directions
MELT butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender but not brown. Stir in flour, salt and paprika. Gradually add evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
WHISK 1 cup thickened sauce into egg yolks; pour into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in chicken, pimiento and sherry. Heat through.
SERVE immediately over hot biscuits.
Review This Recipe
chicken a la king
I made it the other night and I added extra onions, red peppers and some chicken base. I poured it over puffed pastry, it was very good and my husband liked. I'll probably make it again when friends come over. It was very easy to make.
Read More Reviews