Chicken and Rice
Classic Latin American Chicken and Rice recipe gets extra enhancement from a grated cheese topping added at the end. Great for entertaining or a family meal.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated cotija or Parmesan cheese
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
HEAT remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet. Add onion, tomato and garlic; cook for 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Add rice; cook for 2 minutes. Add water, carrots, bell pepper, olives and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Place chicken pieces over rice mixture.
REDUCE heat to medium-low; cover. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in peas. Cook, stirring once during cooking time, for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Guatemalan Arroz Con Pollo
I had forgotten about this food combination until I ran accross this recipe. It was wonderful and will be a "new family staple". The seasoning is just right and the vegetable combination makes it very festive.
GREAT AND WONDERFUL. OUR FAMILY REALLY ENJOYED THIS CHICKEN DISH. WE WERE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING WE HAD NEVER TRIED BEFORE. BUT WE WILL HAVE THIS AGAIN.
LOVED IT! THE WHOLE FAMILY LOVED IT TOO!
Arroz Con Pollo
A very good chicken and rice dish. My family loved this. I used only boned, skinned chicken breasts and left out the olives.
I loved it, but did skip the olives and instead of doing the rice as they did I used my instant rice in a bag, I have issues with alomost any other rice. But it was still great.
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 520
- Calories from Fat: 80
- Total Fat: 9g (13% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 2g (9% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 135mg (44% of DV)
- Sodium: 570mg (24% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 49g (16% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 4g (14% of DV)
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 59g
- Vitamin A: 120% of DV
- Vitamin C: 80% of DV
- Calcium: 8% of DV
- Iron: 25% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.