Chicken and Salsa Soup
Tender chunks of chicken breast combine with savory salsa and corn kernels to make a delicious soup for cold days. Try crumbling a few tortilla chips over your soup with a sprinkle of Mexican cheese.
- 2 (about 8 ounces total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14 1/2 fluid ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups loose-pack frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup bottled chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 3 cups (about 3 ounces) tortilla chips (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
It was a hit!
This was so easy! Instead of frozen corn, I too drained a can of whole kernel corn. To make it a little heartier, I also added a can of drained (then rinsed) black beans to it and after topping with the cheese, I added a dab of sour cream. As far as making a meal, it sure can't get much easier than that and everyone loved it!
A Great Variation
Trying using a can of kernel corn (drained), the kind that has red pepper in it. This adds a flavorful zip.
This soup tasted excellent and it was so easy to make. For the salsa I used a chipotle salsa which gave the soup a kick with a smoky flavor. Great meal on a busy fall night.
This was an EXCELLENT dinner to share with my family on a cold winter night. They loved the taste while I loved how easy it was to make. (If you have leftovers, that's okay, the next day taste as well as the first.) I would offer this recipe to anyone who would love to see their family respond to a great dinner.
Review for Chicken and Salsa Soup
I used to make this right after I had my first child it was excellent! I loved it
Serving Size: 1/4 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 200
- Calories from Fat: 50
- Total Fat: 6g (9% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g (16% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 50mg (16% of DV)
- Sodium: 850mg (35% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 18g (6% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (7% of DV)
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 20g
- Vitamin A: 15% of DV
- Vitamin C: 10% of DV
- Calcium: 10% of DV
- Iron: 6% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.