Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This hearty chicken and wild rice soup is a wonderful addition to your dinner any time of the year.
- 1 box (6 oz.) long grain and wild rice mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (about 8 oz. total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 2 cups (8 oz.) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cups (1 medium) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 3/4 cups chicken broth, (two 14 1/2-oz. cans)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) * NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Green onions, and toasted slivered almonds (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
ADD rice, broth, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine small amount of evaporated milk and cornstarch in small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to saucepan with remaining evaporated milk and wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until soup is thickened. Garnish with green onions and almonds.
* NOTE: For a lower-fat version of this recipe, substitute NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Lowfat Milk for Evaporated Milk.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Perfect Autumn Soup
Excellent rating from husband too. Easy to make. I did use 3x the amount of chicken and substituted sliced carrots for the mushrooms--what I had in the fridge. Definately will make this again
We both wanted soup for supper last night, and so I used this one. Wonderful, Delicious!
Very good soup.
This is a very hearty, flavorful soup that really is not hard to make. It is very well rounded when you add a loaf of fresh baked bread. I just love it.
Chase the winter blues away, a wonderful way to start a cool weekend.
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 270
- Calories from Fat: 60
- Total Fat: 7g (11% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g (17% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 30mg (10% of DV)
- Sodium: 1040mg (43% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 29g (10% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (5% of DV)
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 14g
- Vitamin A: 4% of DV
- Vitamin C: 10% of DV
- Calcium: 15% of DV
- Iron: 10% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.