Classic Latin American Chicken and Rice recipe gets some extra enhancement from the grated cheese topping added at the end. Great for entertaining or a special family meal.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated cotija or Parmesan cheese
SPRINKLE chicken with salt and black pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
HEAT remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet. Add onion, tomato and garlic; cook for 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Add rice; cook for 2 minutes. Add water, carrots, bell pepper, olives and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Place chicken pieces over rice mixture.
REDUCE heat to medium-low; cover. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in peas. Cook, stirring once during cooking time, for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
Review This Recipe
I loved it, but did skip the olives and instead of doing the rice as they did I used my instant rice in a bag, I have issues with alomost any other rice. But it was still great.
Read More Reviews