This hearty chicken and wild rice soup is a wonderful addition to your dinner any time of the year.
- 1 box (6 oz.) long grain and wild rice mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (about 8 oz. total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 2 cups (8 oz.) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cups (1 medium) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 3/4 cups chicken broth, (two 14 1/2-oz. cans)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) * NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Green onions, and toasted slivered almonds (optional)
HEAT vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink.
ADD rice, broth, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine small amount of evaporated milk and cornstarch in small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to saucepan with remaining evaporated milk and wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until soup is thickened. Garnish with green onions and almonds.
* NOTE: For a lower-fat version of this recipe, substitute NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Lowfat Milk for Evaporated Milk.
Review This Recipe
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This soup was pretty good and fairly easy to make. I used canned mushrooms instead of fresh and added a little basalmic vinegar at the end.
Read More Reviews