This home-style Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is light and nourishing and quite easy to make. The rice adds great texture and flavor. Freeze this one to have on hand when you are pressed for time. Top with toasted almonds and thinly sliced green onions to add a final flair.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long-grain and wild rice mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (about 8 ounces total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- Toasted slivered almonds (optional)
HEAT vegetable oil in large saucepan. Add chicken, mushrooms, chopped onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink.
ADD rice, broth, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine small amount of evaporated milk and cornstarch in small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to saucepan with remaining evaporated milk and wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until soup is thickened. Garnish with green onions and almonds.
FOR FREEZE AHEAD:
PREPARE as above; do not top with green onions and almonds. Cool soup completely. Place in airtight container; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
HEAT in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with green onions and almonds.
Review This Recipe
I've been wanting to make this for 2 weeks now. I just knew it'd be wonderful. I wasn't wrong. A nice creamy blend of flavors. Will definately make again.
Read More Reviews