Chilled Cucumber & Leek Soup
Serve this creamy Panamanian soup as a refreshing first course all year long. It offers a nice change from the usual gazpacho for a cold soup choice. A total of three cucumbers will be needed; two will be sliced and one will be chopped. To easily seed cucumbers, slice them in half lengthwise after peeling and use the tip of a teaspoon to gently scrape out the seeds.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped (save this for later)
- 1 medium leek, washed, trimmed, halved and sliced (white part)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or white pepper
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Additional fresh dill (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
STIR in flour until absorbed. Add water, bouillon and pepper; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in evaporated milk. Let stand for 30 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and remove bay leaf.
TRANSFER half of soup into blender container; cover. Hold down lid with folded towel. Blend until smooth. Pour into large bowl. Repeat with remaining soup. Cover; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir in chopped cucumber. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional fresh dill, if desired.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 130
- Calories from Fat: 60
- Total Fat: 7g (10% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g (17% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 20mg (7% of DV)
- Sodium: 470mg (20% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 12g (4% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (4% of DV)
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 5g
- Vitamin A: 6% of DV
- Vitamin C: 10% of DV
- Calcium: 20% of DV
- Iron: 4% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.