This delicious Chilled Pumpkin Soup recipe gets its inspiration from a winter squash soup that is popular throughout Latin America, traditionally prepared with the native calabaza or West Indian pumpkin. In Argentina, this dish is enjoyed in Salta, a northwest region rich in ancient culture. Savor this cold soup during the summer when it will be a refreshing addition to many meals.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with liquid or 3 fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- NESTLÉ Media Crema (optional)
- Paprika (optional)
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and green onions; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes; cook for an additional minute.
ADD broth and pumpkin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Remove soup from heat; cool for 15 minutes. Carefully transfer mixture to blender or food processor (in batches, if necessary); cover. Blend until smooth.
POUR soup into large bowl; cover. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Spoon into bowls. Top each with a dollop of Media Crema and sprinkle of paprika, if desired.
Review This Recipe
this soup was pretty easy to prepare, we couldn't find the crema so we use heavy cream and it tasted wonderful! Toasted pumpkin seeds made an excellent topper.
Read More Reviews