As pretty as they are delicious, these Chocolate-Cherry Thumbprint cookies are an elegant choice for entertaining.
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 3/4 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (two 10-oz. jars) maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
MICROWAVE 1 cup morsels in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. The morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Combine oats, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
BEAT sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until smooth. Beat in melted chocolate. Stir in oat mixture. Cover; refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
SHAPE dough into 1-inch balls; press thumb into tops to make deep depression. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Fill each depression with maraschino cherry.
BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Melt remaining morsels; drizzle over cookies.
Review This Recipe
Everyone loved this cookie and it was easy to make. The dough got a little sticky by the end trying to roll the balls, I might use a little powdered sugar next time to roll and make the thumbprint, but they were great!
Read More Reviews