Introduce chocolate chips to your strawberry shortcake recipe and you'll have a delicious variation on this summertime favorite.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine (we recommend LAND O LAKES), cold, cut up
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 container (12 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 4 cups (2 pints) sliced strawberries
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Grease baking sheets.
COMBINE flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in morsels. Stir in buttermilk with a fork just until moistened. Knead 2 or 3 times on floured surface. Pat to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch diamonds; place on prepared baking sheets.
BAKE for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
CUT one shortcake in half horizontally. Spread bottom half with whipped topping; top with strawberries. Cover with shortcake top; layer with more whipped topping and strawberries. Repeat with remaining shortcakes. Serve immediately.