Chocolate Citrus Freeze
What better to escape the summer heat than the combination of chocolate mousse and ice cream? Great for family BBQ's, this recipe is sure to cool off any dedicated August baker.
- 1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely crushed chocolate wafer cookies (about 16 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat orange sherbet ice cream, softened slightly
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
LINE 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap, allowing 4-inch overhang on all sides.
COMBINE crushed cookies and butter in medium bowl. Press onto bottom of prepared loaf pan.
BEAT 3/4 cup cream and powdered sugar in small chilled mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture until blended. Spoon half of chocolate mousse (about 1 1/2 cups) over cookie layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm. Cover and refrigerate remaining chocolate mousse.
SPOON sherbet over frozen chocolate layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm.
SPOON remaining chocolate mousse over sherbet layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm.
MICROWAVE remaining 1/2 cup morsels and remaining 1/4 cup cream in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. Spread evenly over mousse layer. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
NOTE: Full freezing time is necessary. Each layer must be frozen solid before topped with the next layer for a clean result.
• May be layered with other flavors of sherbet or ice cream.
• To cut slices more easily, run hot water over knife blade and dry prior to cutting.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
While I was a little hesitant about this recipe, I found that it was both yummy and fulfilling. Scrumptious does not even begin to describe it.
Beat the Heat
On a hot day, this recipe is perfect. Orange and chocolate are a winning combination and this was easy to make and delicious.
AWESOME! They are easy to make and taste wonderful!
Chocolate Citrus Freeze
This recipe was easy, although it took awhile to make, but the results were well worth it. I made it for my Bunco Club and everyone said it was the most refreshing dessert ever! Will make again!
Chocolate and Orange combined? Ez? Few Ingredients? What can get any better than that? So good...
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 380
- Calories from Fat: 230
- Total Fat: 26g (40% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 16g (78% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 60mg (20% of DV)
- Sodium: 90mg (4% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 38g (13% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 0g (0% of DV)
- Sugars: 30g
- Protein: 4g
- Vitamin A: 10% of DV
- Vitamin C: 2% of DV
- Calcium: 4% of DV
- Iron: 2% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.