The great flavors in this Clam Chowder recipe make it perfect for lunch or dinner. The sauteed potatoes, carrots, celery and onions add extra flavor dimension to this favorite chowder.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup peeled and finely chopped potato
- 1/4 cup peeled and finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (6.5 oz.) chopped or minced clams, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
MELT butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add potato, carrot, celery and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7 to 8 minutes or until potato is tender.
COMBINE evaporated milk and flour in small bowl until blended; add to vegetable mixture. Stir in clams and juice, salt, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes or until creamy and slightly thick.
Review This Recipe
I also tripled this recipe. Hearty eaters in my family. Several changes, however, I did not add carrots, celery or 1/2 cup water - I wanted to see how thick this chowder was first - and for me it did not need water. We do not like "thin" New England Chowder. I added 2 tablespoons dried parsley, one-half lb. fresh chopped clams (next time 1 lb.) in addition to 3 cans chopped clams with juice, a little more than 1 cup of chopped sweet onion, 5-6 Idaho potatoes (these are the best in any soup/chowder), 1 1/2 tsp.salt, 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 3/4 tsp. pepper (you can always add more for your own taste). Try it just once, and if you love New England Clam Chowder, you'll be making it again and again.
Read More Reviews