This Corn Chowder with Bacon, Leeks and Potatoes makes a hearty meal and is perfect on a cold winter's night.
- 4 strips turkey bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 cups (about 5 medium) washed, trimmed, halved, sliced leeks (white and green parts)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) diced red potatoes
- 2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole-kernel corn
PLACE bacon and oil in stockpot. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Add leeks and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes or until leeks are tender.
ADD potatoes, evaporated milk, 2 cups water, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 18 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
MIX 1 tablespoon water and flour in small bowl. Add corn and flour mixture to stockpot; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
PLACE about 3 cups soup in blender; cover. Carefully blend until smooth. Return blended soup to stockpot; stir.
Review This Recipe
first time leek user
I thought this was a good recipe, mine didn't look anything like the picture, it turned out more green, and it had a great flavor. I have never had corn chowder before so thats why I made it and I liked it very much. As usual I loved the red potatoes I used in it and the leeks were very interesting, I didn't use at much wine and I blended more than 3 cups. It was hearty and healthy!
Read More Reviews