The homemade goodness of this Cream of Broccoli Soup will satisfy any appetite.
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 9 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
BOIL broth in large saucepan. Add broccoli, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
TRANSFER half of vegetable-broth mixture to blender or food processor (in batches, if necessary); cover. Blend until desired consistency. Return to remaining mixture in saucepan.
COMBINE dry milk, water and flour in medium bowl; mix well. Stir into soup; add salt and pepper. Heat to serving temperature.
FOR BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP:
PREPARE Cream of Broccoli Soup and add 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese. Stir over low heat until melted.
FOR FREEZE AHEAD:
PREPARE as above. Cool soup completely. Place in airtight container; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
HEAT in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
Review This Recipe
Made this soup the other day when it was nind of chili here in NC. Loved the soup. I made tiny dough dumplings to put in the soup.
Read More Reviews