Creamy Beet & Potato Salad
One look at this rosy colored Creamy Beet & Potato Salad and you’ll know why it’s served at Christmastime in Panama. Cut potatoes and beets along with hard-cooked eggs are blended with a creamy, tangy dressing. While perfect for the holidays, this salad would also be a delicious addition to a summer picnic as a more interesting version of potato salad. To keep your fingers and cutting board from being stained pink, use food-safe plastic gloves when handling the beets and dice them on a glass or porcelain plate.
- 3 lbs. (about 6 small) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 oz.) whole beets in juice, drained and cut into 3/4-inch pieces*
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, cut into quarters or smaller pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
PLACE potatoes, beets and eggs in large bowl. Combine onion, celery, mayonnaise, evaporated milk, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Gently fold dressing mixture into potato mixture. Store covered in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight; stir occasionally. (The salad will become a deeper rose color as it sits!)
* NOTE: 3 fresh beets, boiled or roasted, can be used instead of the canned beets.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
It is a good recipe.
I was born in Panama. My grandmother taught me how to make this Christmas Potato Salad & she never used the evaporated milk. Other changes are: (1) vinegar, 1 teaspoon and (2) mustard, 1 teaspoon.
I wish there was a '6' rating!
My husband would not touch a red beet with a ten-foot pole, so I used yellow golden beets instead. This is a fabulous dish, and my whole family just loved it. It will also be on our Easter menu.
I tried this recipe and it turned a pretty pink color and tasted great but it was watery. I must have done something wrong.Still for spring this would be just the thing with the pink color.
Ensalada de Papas y remolacha
Very very delicious salad. It is a custom in Panama for Christmas to present this plate, with chicken with rice and tamales Panamenian style.. I love it.
Simple and Delicious
First I wasn't too sure if I wanted to try this recipe because I am not a big fan of beets. I had a can of beets that I didn't know what to do with, plus my husband likes them so I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did it. It was good! I could taste beets in it but it wasn't so strong. I can eat them this way. This recipe is simple (nothing fancy... pretty rosy color, though)- the best part is that you can actually enjoy the natural flavor of ingredients. We all enjoyed it, especially my husband. I'll be making this again.
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 220
- Calories from Fat: 110
- Total Fat: 12g (19% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g (12% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 60mg (21% of DV)
- Sodium: 580mg (24% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 24g (8% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (9% of DV)
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 5g
- Vitamin A: 2% of DV
- Vitamin C: 40% of DV
- Calcium: 6% of DV
- Iron: 10% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.