Loaded with pretzels, almonds and coconut, these bite-size Creamy Crunchy Haystacks treats are hard to resist. Feeling creative? You could easily mix things up and incorporate some of your favorites for an extra-special anytime snack.
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1 cup pretzel sticks, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup almond slivers, toasted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened or sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
MICROWAVE morsels and shortening in large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70 %) for 1 minute; STIR. The morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15- second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted. Stir in pretzel sticks, almonds and coconut; toss until all ingredients are coated. Drop by level tablespoon onto prepared trays. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Store in tightly covered container.
DOUBLE BOILER METHOD:
COMBINE pretzel sticks, almonds and coconut in large bowl. Place morsels and shortening in top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Do not cover. When most of the morsels are shiny, stir just until melted. (Prevent water from coming in contact with morsels.) Remove from heat. Pour melted morsels over pretzel mixture; toss until all ingredients are coated. Proceed as above.
FOR PEANUT BUTTER CRUNCHY HAYSTACKS:
SUBSTITUTE 3/4 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter for the vegetable shortening. Proceed as above.
• If you do not have on hand or a preference for pretzel sticks, almonds and/or coconut, try using granola, popcorn, toasted rice cereal, pecans, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pistachios and/or crumbled shredded wheat cereal instead.
Review This Recipe
I made this recipe over the holidays, and they were quite the hit. I wanted to make a second batch but did not have any more white morsels. I substituted what I had, swirled milk chocolate and peanut butter morsels, and the haystacks turned out just as good. I've already had requests to make more of these tasty treats!
Read More Reviews